What are the Seven Wonders of the World? by Peter D’Epiro and Mary Desmond Pinkowish
This neat volume is a slip-cased edition by the Folio Society of a popular trivia book. This particular edition is beautifully produced, as you can see from the pictures, with an attractive hardcover binding, gilt lettering on the spine, and the addition of intriguing black-and-white illustrations by Richard Beards throughout the text (the one in the picture below is an illustration for the question “What were the 4 chief winds of Greece?”). Each section features several questions related to a single number, such as:
• Who were the 3 sons of Noah?
• What are the 4 voyages of Lemuel Gulliver?
• What are the 5 pillars of Islam?
• What are the 6 flavors of quarks?
• Where do the English names of the 7 days of the week come from?
And so it goes, on to 12.
Curios is a periodic series about an interesting used book; rare or common, expensive or cheap, we hope it’s a book you didn’t know you were looking for.